My Experience of Clutter Busting While Writing the Book

I'm excited about my Clutter Busting book coming out on March 1st. I wrote it because a lot of people who enjoyed hearing me tell stories from the clutter busting front lines said I ought to put it in a book. I was used to writing jokes for my stand up routine. It was a little hard at first writing about actual events. But then the flow that I feel during the clutter busting sessions took over and pretty soon I had a book.

But then the book needed clutter busting. I had to take out all the parts that didn't serve the flow of the book. I tried doing it on the computer, but I couldn't get the big picture. So I printed up all the pages and putting them in order I covered the entire floor of my apartment. I saw sections that didn't fit and I tossed them out. I had to move other sections around so the book felt better. It was the same experience I had when I was helping a client clutter bust their living space.

It was a better book, but it still felt off. So I put the book in the hands of different editors, literary clutter busters. It's hard to see your own clutter. You know something is not working, but you're not sure why. They pointed out where the book had problems communicating its points. They helped me fix it in a way that I felt kept the flow of the book.

It took seven years. That's a lot of readjusting, chopping away, and renovating. But that's clutter busting. The alternative is to do nothing and have something crappy. In the case of my book, if I didn't let go of the things that didn't serve it, it would have been a bad read. But through clutter busting it became a really great book.

The same goes with your living space. To do nothing means you suffer in their home. But to let go of the things that don't support you, you end up feeling good about coming home again. It's great to see people go from dreading being in their own home, to loving their space.