All You Can Eat

I remember how exciting it was as a kid to go to all you can eat buffets. I'd pile three layers of food onto one plate. It took a lot of work to stack and mold it together. I could have gone back three times, each time just getting one layer, but I felt an impulse to put it all on in one trip. When I tried to eat, the food would fall off the plate and onto the table. I'd put it back on the plate, try and take another bite, and more food would fall off the plate. And to top it off, I would either eat all the food on the plate and get a stomach ache, or I couldn't finish and feel guilty. Altogether it was a difficult and frustrating experience. But I didn't learn. The next time my family went to eat at the buffet, I'd do the same exact thing.

In our lives, we're taught that it's good to have a lot. More is exciting. It's hard to be satisfied with what we have. We pile things into our living spaces and onto our lives beyond capacity. We can't help it. It's an impulse that dictates a lot of our behaviors. We do this even though it becomes hard to manage. We see that we are stressed and that there are a lot of complications. But we don't see that our behaviors are causing distress. The solution of more isn't working.

I've found that people's lives benefit when they keep things in their life and their living space simple. They are easily able to manage their life. Clutter busting is looking at what's on your plate of life and seeing what you don't need or like and taking it off your plate. When you have what you can comfortably manage, you feel more peaceful, and this eliminates the need to add more things to stimulate and distract you from unhappiness.