Jammin'

One of my recent clients is a musician. When he talked about his music he was very happy. But when I asked him how often he played his guitars and wrote music, he'd lose his energy and look down and mumble. I told him, "That's where we're starting." He looked a little panicked. I try to find the room the person least wants to work in because that's the heart of the matter. Once taken care of, the rest follows through.

He followed behind me to his music room. There was no room to walk in there. There were boxes, and guitar cases, and wires and other things taking up all the space. I asked him the last time he went in this room. He couldn't remember. I said, "You really love playing music, but some clutter is keeping you from what you really love to do." He looked vulnerable and his eyes teared up. He said, "I want to get back to it."

I began questioning all the items in the room. It turns out there were about ten guitars that he'd been wanting to sell for a while, but he hadn't done anything about it. I got him to take all those guitars and put them in the living room. I had him take cell phone photos of the guitars. Then we listed the guitars on a website for musicians. We came back to the room and tossed a lot of old wires and electronics that he no longer needed. He later donated them. We got rid of empty boxes. He kept three guitars, two speakers, some electronics and recording equipment. They were all things that meant something to him now. He looked refreshed. The stagnation was gone.

Now there was a lot more space. I had him plug in his favorite guitar. He was giddy like a little kid. He strapped it on and plugged it in. He jammed. He was ecstatic. He gave himself the space to live the life he loved.