Clutter Out in the Open, and Hidden Clutter

Some people have been emailing me and asking if I do phone clutter busting consultations. The answer is yes. If you're interested, you can email me at brooks@clutterbusting.com

Clutter can sometimes be out in the open. But because it goes unquestioned, you don't realize it's no longer a part of your life. I was working with a client recently who had a big espresso making machine on his kitchen counter. It took up a lot of space. I asked him if he used it. He had a puzzled look on his face. It was the realization that it's unessential. He said it was a gift from his brother-in-law. He said he used it once in three years. I asked him if he would be using it again. He said he wouldn't. He decided to donate it.

Clutter can sometimes find very good hiding places. It's worth taking a look in areas of your home you would normally not look. I was working with a woman who wanted me to help her with her office. I had a feeling to start in the food pantry. She was taken aback. She said there was just food in there. I said, "Let's take a look." The pantry was made up of five shelves. The top shelf was too far to reach. I got out her step ladder and took a look. I found a small wicker container. I brought it down. It had some papers in it. She said they were just recipes and not worth looking at. I took out the papers underneath the recipes. They were wedding invitations. She reacted strongly. She went pale and looked like she'd been hit. She had been divorced for three years. These were invitations for that marriage which was ten years ago. I asked her if she would like to let them go. She happily said yes.

When you clutter bust your living space, you are a detective in your own home. You look for clues. You get to ask questions of the obvious things, and you get to search for the hidden ones. You are looking for things whose presence reduces the quality of life in your home. Things that have no use in your life, that you don't care for, and things which resonate with old unwanted emotions create a sluggish, stagnant feeling. You feel better when you let these things go.