Slowing Down to See

I was working with a client who was feeling hyper. She spoke very fast, she was constantly looking around the room, and it was hard for her to focus on one thing at a time. I had to keep bringing her back to the clutter right in front of us.

I understood. Clutter acts as a stimulant. It keeps people agitated. Often people bring clutter into their life as a way to distract them from things they don't want to feel. When the clutter ends up taking a hold of their living space, they can't relax in their own home. It's difficult to enjoy life when you can't feel at home.

I asked her to stand up. She did. I gave her a book. I asked her to hold it with her eyes closed. She did. It was hard for her to stand still. I asked her what the book felt like. She described its weight and the slick feel of the cover. I asked her to feel the pages. She said they felt rough.

I said, "Sometimes we get over extended, and we feel like we are in fast motion, and maybe we are missing out on the moment. We don't even notice the things in our home. They become something in the background. Many of these things are no longer a part of our life. Their presence keeps us hyped up. They keep us from being able to relax. It's the opposite of nourishing...Right now things are slowed down for you. There is only the book. The question is, does this book nourish or drain you?"

She dropped the book. She was startled. She opened her eyes.

I said, "That means it's not for you. It doesn't suit you. It's a distraction in your home. It's best that it goes."

She felt good that she was able to do this. I gave her another book. She closed her eyes.