"That's a Relief"

I was working with a client in her garage. She rarely came down to her garage. She didn't have a car and used the space for storage. She put a lot of things down there that she would never look at again. Many of these items had dust filled cobwebs extending off of them.

She initially didn't want to come down there. That told me that the things she put in the garage were not important to her. She probably put them there because she didn't really want to keep them, but she also didn't want to let them go. That's how attachment works.

So, we're going through boxes in her garage. One had artifacts from when she went to grade school. There were all her report cards. They reeked of mold. She didn't look at them and wanted to keep them. I asked her to look at them. She sighed and took a look. She looked interested for a second. But then lost her interest and tossed them. The same went for her crayon drawings.

We came upon her Barbies. She looked frustrated. I asked her what was going on. She said that she felt weird because she didn't care about these things anymore, but she felt it was wrong to throw them out. I asked what wrong meant.

She said, "Well, I'm mean, aren't you supposed to keep these things?"

I said, "If you ask me, I'll always say toss them. I figure if you're asking me, they aren't important to you, otherwise you would keep them. There's no supposed to with stuff. It's either something you enjoy now, or it's not serving you and it can go. I'm sure it served you at some point, otherwise, you wouldn't be hesitating. But it's not serving you now. So that's why I feel comfortable saying you can let it go."

She took a deep breath out. She tossed the dolls into a charity bag.

She said, "That's a relief."