Your Subtle Radar

This weekend I got a new computer. I was transferring over my songs from my itunes file and I noticed I felt uncomfortable. I didn't know why. I just sensed that something didn't feel right. I was not enjoying myself. Then I had the thought that some of these songs I no longer cared for. I listened to each song briefly and felt either, "Keep it" or "Toss it." I knew I was doing the right thing as I deleted the mp3s that I no longer cared for because I was feeling a strong sensation of relief. It felt like I was gliding downhill. I imagine if I didn't know about clutter busting I would have transferred the songs and stayed irritable for a while. I might have even transferred that feeling of unhappiness to some other area of my life. But from my experience, I've learned that when something doesn't feel right, it's worth taking a closer look.

I was working with a client today, and we were going through her basement and she came upon some things that belonged to someone that had once stayed with her and now had her own place. When she pointed these things out, she went instantly out of sorts. It was like she was present, and then she was gone. There was the shell of her, looking pale with glassy eyes. I knew these things needed attention. She had temporarily vanished, so she didn't notice this. I pointed it out to her. I was direct. I said, "The presence of these things in your home is extremely disruptive. They divorce you from your connection with your home. It's like an anvil that creates a split in wood. It creates a crack that goes through everything. You're gone. It would be great to have you back."

It turns out her relationship with this person was not supportive to her. She'd allowed this person to take advantage of her. She saw the effect the presence of these things was having on her. She decided to call this person and tell her the things needed to go.

So, as you're going through your day, have your subtle radar going for things that diminish you. Maybe at one point these things meant something to you. Perhaps they used to make you feel good. But when your personal indicator says, "No", it's worth listening to and following your pointer. Our subtle levels of discrimination are very effective. They can bring us relief and make us feel better.