Unclogging

I was working with a client who had a photo printer in one of her desk cabinets. It was a gift from her mom who is a professional photographer. My client made the anguish face. She didn't say anything but her face scrunched up. When that happens, it feels like the person is holding back a strong emotion.

I asked my client about the photo printer. She said that it's one of the best on the market. She said that she was very touched when her mom sent it to her. My client felt her photography talents were being respected by her mom. There was joy in those words mixed with some deeper stressed emotions.

My client told me that she really loved taking photos. She'd been enjoying taking pictures for over twenty years. A number of her photos are featured on web pages on the internet. She said she wants to keep taking pictures.

I asked her how often she prints her photos. She got the scrunched face again. It felt like she didn't want to say. Sometimes we think if we're honest about a thing, then we'll have to admit it doesn't fit in our life anymore, and we'll have to let it go...along with our good memories and feelings about the thing. We feel like we'll lose something of value.

My client said that she rarely used the photo printer, maybe once every couple of years. She said the medium of photography had changed. Most of her mom's photo career involved printing her photos. Now photographers transfer their photos from their camera to their computer. On some level it would seem like she would lose a connection with her mom that she was cherishing. But if she kept the photo printer, it would continue taking up a large amount of space in her desk cabinet, plus she'd have the presence of something that was not serving her, which has the effect of creating entropy in a space.

I could see this way weighing heavily on my client. So I asked her if she would feel comfortable talking with her mom about the situation. She said yes. She called her mom and told her what was going on. Her mom got it and said she could mail the printer back to her because she could use it. When my client got off the phone, she was greatly relieved. We took the printer out of the cabinet. She loved the feeling of the newly open space. Her space had become unclogged.