Hiding Places

Hi.

I hope your week's coming along well. I like the beginning of the week. It feels like, "Okay, let's see what new opportunities are showing up." This morning Visible Voice Books in Cleveland said I can give a clutter busting talk at their bookstore October 6th. I invite you to come if you live in the area. The info is on the right side of this blog.

I was thinking about a client that I worked with last week. We were going through things in her home office. We came across a button for a local political office that she ran for but didn't win a few years ago. She got very excited and held the button in a victory fist. She said, "I'm keeping this!!" Then she took the button and put it in the bottom of a pen holder.

I pointed out that she put the button in a place where she can't see it. It's the same thing as tossing it out. When we hide things in a drawer, container, closet, box or storage locker, we forget about it. When I see clients hide things away, they have a nervous look. I get the feeling that a part of them feels, "I should keep this" and another part feels, "I don't want to deal with this." It's not an open and joyful experience.

She didn't know what to do. I took the button out of its hiding place and asked her to hold it. I asked if she enjoyed running for office. She said yes. I asked if she wanted to run for office again. She said she didn't think so. I asked if she was done with the button. She said yes and tossed it.

It's worth noticing how we interact with our things. If we sense there is some apprehension about an item, I recommend spending a few minutes with it. Asking basic questions helps you get clear about its place in your life. It feels good to have things out in the open.