Letting Go of What We Once Loved

Life is always changing. It's natural that what we like one day, we don't on another.

But what often happens is that a part of our mind remembers the joy this thing once brought us, and justifies holding on to this thing believing that the joy could and should still be attainable.

Holding on to these things is hard on us because the intuitive part of us knows this is not possible. It's like leaving half a piece of cake in the fridge that was once delicious but is now stale. It leaves us with a sense of conflict.

When we hang onto a number of things that no longer serve us, those individual feelings of conflict become overwhelming and cause us to shut down and feel defeated in our homes.

I was working recently with a client who had large amounts of books placed in book shelves throughout her home. When she got near the bookshelves, her vitality evaporated. It was like she was catatonic. I knew that these books were a powerful source of clutter and I needed to help her question their value.

I gently encouraged her. She agreed. We went through one book at a time. I could tell she was invested in each book. She told me how important each book was to her at one time. "Oh, I really wanted to read that." "That one was really good."

I pointed out that she often spoke in past tense. I said it was clear that at one point each book was important, but she no longer feels that way today. If we hung on to everything we've ever liked in our lives, we would need three or more houses. But the point of a home it to live with and enjoy the things we love now.

My client let go of and donated many, many bags of books. She was amazed that she could let them go and feel okay.