Open Space

I like open space. It relaxes me. As I was driving south through New Mexico yesterday afternoon, I loved looking out over the desert. The openness soothed me.

I thought about how we are encouraged to fill up our living spaces to capacity. We are constantly presented with opportunities to acquire, bring home, and add to our collection. But living that way doesn't make us feel better.

I've learned from experience that when we let go of the things we don't actually care for, and we live with the new open space amidst the things we love, we are happy.

That doesn't mean we have to have all the clutter gone to feel better. Even a little open space goes a long way. When I'm working with someone who has no open space, and they let go of a few things, I ask them to notice the space they created. When they do, they tell me that it feels good.