The Gift of Taking Care of Ourselves

I thought it was going to be a quiet week, but suddenly a lot of people contacted me to book clutter busting phone sessions. I love to work, so it's been very enjoyable.

Yesterday I was helping a woman go through her jewelry. At first she was very resistant. She said it would be too much of a hassle because the jewelry was spread out through many drawers, closets, and counter tops. But I pointed out the tiredness and tension in her voice, and she got it that living with her jewelry strewn about was hard on her.

She went through each piece of jewelry. I asked her if she still wore each item, or was she tired of it. It was obvious when a necklace meant something to her. She gave an immediate and strong yes. But when she hemmed and hawed about some earrings, or mentioned how much she spent on them, or talked about how much she used to love wearing them, I pointed out that there was no passion in her voice. She got it that it was time for the earrings to be donated so someone else could enjoy them.

When she had finished going through all her jewelry she sighed through the phone. I pointed out how relieved she sounded. I congratulated her on how well she took care of herself. She was touched to think of it that way. We often get ignored in the midst of our busy days. It's the kindest action to take care of ourselves.

I want to wish you all a happy holiday time, today through...I was going to say new year's day, but I figured why not today through the rest of the days of your life.