Hiding Places

Closets tend to be out of sight, out of mind spaces. Lots of things can be stored in the closet, often hidden behind or mixed in with other things, some of which we use, but often a lot of which we don't. The deeper the closet, the more hiding spaces. The door closes and we forget what's in there.

But not completely. We still "know" the stuff's in there by the anxiety and entropy that's created from living with things we don't need anymore.

Today's client clutter busted three of her closets. She was tentative at first. That's what the stagnant feeling does to us. But with encouragement, she ventured in.

She was amazed at the amount of things she no longer needed. She said:
"It's been seven years since I used this, I think I can let it go."
"Here's another thing I've never used."
"I just don't need it. I'm not using it."
"I forgot I even had this in there. I don't even like it anyway."

She came across some card making supplies. At one point, she really wanted to make greeting cards. She bought the supplies with high hopes. But she only used them a couple of times over the years. And when she used the card making supplies, she found them to be messy and difficult. I pointed out that it sounded like they weren't part of her life. She said, "But I spent a lot of money on this." I said that happens now and then. But the main thing to notice is that she didn't like using the card supplies. She'd have more peace of mind by letting them go. She got it and let go of them.

She let go of boxes of products that were no longer under warranty, old electronics, clothes she didn't wear anymore, books that she wasn't reading, exercise DVDs she wasn't watching, a large amount of Starbucks coffee mugs given to her as Christmas presents (still in the gift boxes), old linens and towels she wasn't using anymore, VHS movies, and cassettes.

When we were done, she said, "I don't want to hide things anymore. I want everything out in the open."