What Is a Home?

I've been thinking a lot about what makes a home.

I think of a home as a place where I feel comfortable. It's a place that supports me. I feel a connection with the space.

I've been away from my home in Chicago for two and a half months now. Currently I'm staying with friends in Los Angeles.

Even though I'm here, I feel like I'm at home. I'm with friends. I enjoy eating fresh grapefruit from the tree in the backyard. I like the 70-80 degree temperatures. The belongings I have are just the things I love and use. I adore the green plants growing everywhere in LA. I actually saw some lettuce growing up from a crack in the sidewalk.

By keeping my heart open to notice what doesn't feel good and by removing it, I'm able to feel at home most of the places I go.

I try to instill this same feeling for my clients.

When I go to work at a client's house, they initially don't feel at home. They own the space, or are renting it, but they don't have a connection with where they live. The presence of things that aren't serving them in the space agitate them. The uncomfortableness of living there drains them.

But by letting go of what they no longer care for, their house starts to become a home. They get a connection with their living space. They feel better. And from what they write and tell me later, they start to feel at home away from the house too.

It's a big world out there, and if we can extend the boundaries of our home, then we can really start enjoying our lives.