Making Friends with Where We Live

When you're feeling stuck amidst clutter, the connection you have with your home is broken. You don't know what to do because the conversation with where you live has stopped.

When you approach the space in your home as a living thing, you re-open the connection. It becomes easier to work with your space when there's a relationship.

I was working the other day with a woman who felt that her space was against her. She said, "My home feels like my enemy." I said that's how she was feeling, but probably her home liked her. She said, "I doubt that." I suggested we start going through her things and find what she didn't care for anymore. She relented.

As the time passed and she began letting go of clutter, she started feeling better. She said, "I'm starting to feel like my home's my friend."