"That was then, this is now."

The space under the bed is commonly used as a storage locker. It can seem like a convenient place to put things. But the presence of this stuff can't help but disrupt our sleep. Especially since the things that end up under beds are often items that we don't know what to do with.

I was working with a client whose space under her bed was jammed packed. I had her pull everything out and describe what she found.

The most astonishing thing were two 24 x 36 framed wedding photos of her and her ex-husband from twenty years ago. My client was stunned. She had completely forgotten about the pictures. She said, "Why have I put this here?"

She didn't know what to do with them. I asked how the pictures made her feel. I like to get to the effect of something right away. She told me the history of the pictures. I asked her how it felt to look at the pictures. She said she didn't know. She thought maybe she could cut out the picture of herself because she liked how her hair looked back then. But then she got flustered and wanted to hang on to the old wedding pictures and figure it out later.

I asked her, "Do you want to put the wedding pictures on your wall?"

She said, "Noooo!!! They're making my heart race! Aaaaagghhh! That was then, this is now. This is a case of me wanting something to be different than it was."

My client tossed the photos in the trash bag.