From Stagnant to Flow

I was asking my client about papers in her office. She was feeling sluggish and was uncertain in her responses. She couldn't understand why she felt so stuck.

I said that clutter has a stagnant effect on one's environment. It's what happens when you live in a space where things have gone unused for a long while. Right now she and the room would feel thick and dull to her because the momentum of working in the space hadn't built up enough vitality yet.

She said, "So it's not my fault, right?" I said it wasn't.

After about a half hour she was working at a good pace. I asked her to take notice. She was amazed at the difference. She said, "Before it was like I was a slow playing record, and now I'm up to speed. It feels great!"

It helps to recognize that when you first enter a space to begin a clutter bust, you encounter the entropy. You probably won't be thinking as clearly as you'd like. You might get the feeling that it will take forever. You might want to give up. If you expect to feel like molasses, you'll be okay.

Be aware of how you feel as you progress. It doesn't take long for the energy to kick in. When it does, you'll feel like yourself again.