Expensive Trash Cans

My client came across a large bin filled with a bunch of stuff. She was discouraged and said, "I don't know why I even bought this container."

I said that organizing companies sell these products as solutions to clutter because they take advantage of people feeling overwhelmed.

When you're overwhelmed, you can't physically or emotionally handle what's in front of you. In the moment, it seems easier to hide what hurts. Stuff gets dumped into these bins and containers and then is often hidden away in another room, closet, under the bed, storage locker, or garage.

They become expensive trash cans.

And they don't make you feel better because of part of you knows this container of clutter still exists. You never actually forget about it.

What helps is to recognize hiding things doesn't serve you.

What helps is to go to the container and piece by piece make decisions about what's inside. When you're in that decision making, "Do I like and use this, or can I let it go?" mind, the feeling of being overwhelmed goes away.

You take back your space.