Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Personal Story

I want to share my own recent clutter busting experience. 

A couple of weeks ago my wife, stepson, and I decided to go dog shopping. We went to a pet shelter and looked at the dogs. We found a dog that the three of us loved.

We brought the dog home that day. It was exciting. The dog seemed like a perfect fit. He wasn't a barker. He played gently. He was comfortable in our home. We loved having him there.

That night my wife and I put his cage in our bedroom so he wouldn't feel alone. The dog got in his cage, plopped down and fell asleep. My wife and I went to bed and fell asleep in minutes.

I woke up around one am and my lungs felt tight. I figured I was being effected by the dog, but thought maybe it was just a temporary thing. I got up and slept in the guest room. I woke up in the morning with a headache, burning lungs, tight breathing, and itching face.

I thought, "Oh, no, I'm really allergic to the dog!"

I thought that it would break my wife and stepson's hearts, not to mention my own, to let the dog go. So, I tried enduring the allergy symptoms that day, hoping they would pass.

My wife and stepson knew I was suffering, but went along with my wanting to wait it out and see if I would get better.

My symptoms got worse. I felt lousy.

Still I thought, "I can't let this dog go. We all love him. I'll just endure this and be okay. I don't want to let everyone down." At the same time, I knew that it was hurting me to live that way, and that it wasn't going to get better.

I was confused and didn't know what to do.

That afternoon I worked with a client on Skype. When I help someone clutter bust, my intuition opens up in a big way.

During the clutter bust, my intuition said to me about the dog situation, "This isn't working for me!"

I thought about how I tell clients that it's okay to say, "No" to something that hurts. When some thing, person or activity causes us pain in some way, it's clutter and doesn't have a place in our lives.

When I finished the session, I told my wife that we had to let the dog go. She was hurt, but understood. We drove the dog back to the pet shelter.

This was a powerful clutter bust for me because I had to consider myself in a very confusing situation. What got me through it was the realization that it was most important to take care of myself.

4 comments:

MarySees said...

I'm so sorry! How disappointing for you all! However, it is very important for you to take care of yourself.

Brooks_Palmer said...

Hi Mary, It was a tough time. But it felt good to take care of myself.

Ruth Ann Amberstone said...

I had the same experience with a wonderful cat we got from a shelter. I've never had an allergic reaction to cats, but my skin started burning all over. I also thought I could "tough it out" and that the reaction was only temporary. But like you, it just got worse.

It broke our hearts to bring him back to the shelter (and the cat *really* didn't want to go back!), but we really didn't have a choice. We wound up getting another cat who is sweeter and more loving than any I've ever had before.

My wish for you is to find a dog who brings you only love and no pain.

Bright blessings,
Ruth Ann

Brooks_Palmer said...

Ruth Ann, Thanks for sharing your cat experience. I know what you mean about getting your heart broken. But you had to take care of yourself. I get that. I'm happy to hear that you ended up getting a great cat! Maybe there's a great dog for me in my future! Take care, Brooks