Clutter Busting the Linen Closet

The linen closet is a funny place. Old sheets, towels, blankets, pillow cases and comforters have a way of retiring in this space. I remember one client being astounded at the layers of old linens she kept finding under the new stuff.

What I'll need you to do is take everything out of the linen closet and put it on the floor. Take a few seconds to gaze at the open space in the closet. There's a peacefulness about open space. It can make your breath relax.

Pick up the first item and ask yourself, "Do I love this sheet?" "Is this towel comfortable?" "Does this blanket feel old?" "Am I holding onto this quilt because my grandmother made it even though I don't like or use it?" "Am I actually using this pillow case?" You're looking for the first feeling that comes to you. "Does this make me feel good, or can I let it go?"

I had one client who had brand new sheets and pillowcases that were still in their plastic container. She was hesitant to make a decision about them. Then she admitted that she didn't like the sheet set and she felt badly that she'd spent the money. I said that hanging onto the sheets would be a constant reminder of the situation. There would be more relief in giving the sheet set to charity. She liked that idea and went with it.

I worked with another client who discovered that all her towels were old and tattered and didn't feel good on her body. She got rid of them and went shopping later that day for new towels.

Non-linen stuff often gets discovered in the linen closet. Sometimes long forgotten extraneous items show up. Don't put anything that doesn't fit the linen, towel, sheet grouping (or associated items) back in the closet. It helps to keep similar items together. It's easier on the heart and mind.

You can donate sheets, towels, pillow cases, blankets and comforters. It will be a relief to get them out of your house, and it will feel good to give them to a charity.

You're learning to take an honest inventory of your home. You're home has a profound effect on how you feel. Finding and letting go of the things that are no longer a part of your life will make you feel good.

If you need some help with this work, you can contact me to set up an Skype or facetime clutter bust. It goes quicker than you imagined. I'm at brooks@clutterbusting.com

(This has been a revamped clutter busting blog post blast from the past!)