Take Down the Wall

Sometimes we gather things around us as a buffer or wall from the world. As a protection device. But then that which was supposed to protect, hurts us. It's confusing.

It helps to take a step back and see what's happening. What we tried isn't working.

The kind thing to begin to do is dismantle the buffer, piece by piece. You do that by asking, "Is this piece helping me, or hurting me?"

The amazing thing is, this kindness helps to restore us. It gives us the strength and energy we were looking for all along.

I once worked with a client who had built a literal wall of books around most of her bed. They were in stacks, sometimes as high as her bed.

I asked her how she slept at night. She said that it was rough. She said that she was agitated by thoughts and worries.

I began to ask her about each book. She was surprised to discover that she didn't care for most of the books. Many were there because she felt she should read them. I said that there was no place in her life for things that didn't bring her supportive benefit. She decided to let the majority of the books go.

We packed up the books she was letting go of to bring to a local charity. The few books she kept went on a bookshelf.

I had my client sit on the bed and close her eyes. I asked how she felt. She said, "Peaceful."